Dear hearts, we had a rough start.
- We got ourselves a budget, folks. The $132.5 billion budget marks two straight years of on-time budgets — a rarity in Albany — and the first time in decades that spending will decrease for two straight years.
- The lobbying industry is-a-boomin’. And the number one spender is a group that supports the governor’s agenda, according to the Times Union and the Times.
- The governor’s “close to home” initiative is about to start taking effect, gradually migrating downstate about 400 city youth serving sentences upstate.
- City Limits magazine (donate!) reports that solitary confinement is on the rise at Rikers Island.
- The MTA will pay $599 million and receive 300 new cars.